Monday, December 13, 2010

Home Decor using Embroidery Fonts

Here are a couple of beautiful curtain ideas that were kindly sent to us by our customers.

This organza curtain decor panel was embroidered with our Victorian Glamour font, and trimmed with long fringe in same color like the organza fabric. To embroider the letters on this delicate facric, water soluble stabilizer was used, and then washed away.

The second curtain project with Art Nouveau 2-letter Monogram, authored by Belinda Ernest, is a bit more complex. And below come the instruction that the author generously shared:

1. On the Dining Room Drapes, I used Simplicity pattern 5865 and altered the pattern to lengthened the side pieces to reach just below the windowsill.
2. I purchased decorator jacquard that was fairly thin and lined it with another thin jacquard.
3. I cut out the squares indicated on the pattern instructions.
4. Using my embroidery software, I enlarged the design until it was 5 inches tall and fit my 5X7 hoop.
5. Taking one square and hooping it with medium weight tear away, I embroidered the design.
6. I removed it from the hoop and tore away the excess stabilizer.
7. Turning it face down, I gave it a light steam pressing. Then I sewed the 2 squares right sides together leaving a small hole for turning right side out.
8. After turning, I sewed the opening closed and pressed. Then, according to the pattern, I folded the square until it resembled a jabot. Pressed again. It came out beautifully!

And here is another project by Belinda - a tablecloth decorated with our Chocolate Punch font.
1. I purchased 3 yards of 72inch wide fireproof table cloth polyester from Hancock Fabrics.
2. I then sewed a 2 inch mitered corner hem all around the fabric (I have a very long table). Then I used a decorative stitch from my Elegante’ sewing machine to cover the plain stitching I did on the hem.
3. In my embroidery software, I combined some heirloom flower designs with the Anna Bove Chocolate Punch “E” to make my corner designs. I picked colors for the corner designs from the Drapes so the table cloth would match.
4. Then I did several tests to make sure I really liked the colors.
5. I used a wash-away stabilizer to do all of the embroidery on the table cloth. The fabric is fairly see-through and I didn’t want any stabilizer to show when I was done. I cut away the excess stabilizer when all 4 corners were complete and then laundered it.
6. I did a light steam press on the back of the designs when it came out of the dryer and it was done.